Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe makes two pies and may be made using using either ground pork or ground beef or half of each, I prefer the half each!
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 3 lbs ground beef (or use half each) or 3 lbs pork (or use half each)
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup water or 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- seasoning salt (to taste) or white salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a medium saucepan heat butter over medium-high heat; add in onion, celery and garlic and saute about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in ground beef or pork, cubed potatoes, water and half and half cream or milk;. cook while stirring until liquid has completely evaporated.
- Add in spices; cook stirring for about 5-6 minutes, then allow the mixture to cool.
- Fit bottom pie pastry into each 9-inch deep-dish pie plates.
- Divide the beef misture between each pie plate.
- Top each pie with top pie crusts then flute edges together.
- Cut slits in top of crust each, then place onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in 450 degrees F (bottom rack) oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and continue baking for another 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly before slicing.
My kids liked it which is very significant. To me, it seemed to be a little too dry and I thought adding cornstarch with a little water instead of cooking the filling until all the liquid is gone may help holding it together plus adding some moisture. Also I added frozen corn which I had in my freezer. I would add some frozen vege like peas & carrot or mixed vege to this recipe.