Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I've not tried this yet but it sounds like one of those things that would make a cold autumn or winter evening just perfect.
- 1 ham hock (use 2 if they are small)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans green beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10 small red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt (if needed, use your own judgement as ham is often quite salty on it's own. You can always add the se)
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Place the ham hock('s) and onion into a 4 quart Dutch oven and fill half way full with water.
- Season water with salt, pepper and garlic powder and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat until meat falls off the bones, about 2 hours. Remove the bones and skin; return the meat to the pot.
- Discard bones and skin.
- Add the green beans to the Dutch oven and simmer for 20 minutes, then add the potatoes. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more, or until they can be easily pierced with a fork.
I call this poverty food - as you can grow most of it. We loved it. I used our own canned beans and canned caramelized onions. That helped speed up the progress. I couldn't find a ham hock so I used a ham steak that I added after the potatoes cooked. Thanks for a great dinner - I can't wait to make this when we have everything fresh.
Manly vegetables, bursting with flavor! I would halve the seasoning salt next time as we are accustomed to lower sodium. I will try frozen green beans next time and see how they stand up to all that simmering. For an after-work meal, I would simmer the ham hock the night before and store the meat separately so that it wouldn't overcook during reheating. Then the remaining cooking could be easily accomplished in a reasonable amount of time. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Annacia. Made for Rookie Recipe Tag.
Yummy! My mom used to do something like this with fresh green beans, but this was much more flavorful because of the onions and seasoning salt. Thanks so much for sharing! Made for Rookie Tag game.