Recipe by Wildflour
Isn't funny how we can take something perfectly healthy....and make it totally fattening?!! I've made green beans this way since....well, more than 20 years now, and wouldn't have them any other way! VERY flavorful, comfort food at its very best! Cooking time includes crock pot time.
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans green beans, drain 3 cans
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon good balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 -4 tablespoons bacon butter pan drippings
- 1 tablespoon good balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon in pan til done sprinkling both sides as it cooks with coarse ground pepper.
- Drain on paper towels, set aside.
- Add half a stick of butter to bacon grease, (4 Tbl.).
- Add chopped onion and 1 Tbl. balsamic vinegar and cook slowly over low heat for about 20 minutes til soft and sweet.
- Remove from heat.
- In crockpot, put 2 cans (drained) green beans.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with half the bacon, broken into small pieces.
- Sprinkle with half the cooked onions.
- Sprinkle with half, (1/2 tsp.), dark brown sugar.
- Drizzle with 1-2 Tbl. bacon/butter grease from pan. (Yes, do this.)LOL.
- Drizzle with 1/2 Tbl. balsamic vinegar.
- Repeat everything (*just draining one can, and add the fourth (last) can of green beans with the water from can pouring over evenly.).
- Give all this a VERY gentle fold, folding only 2-3 times. Any more, and your green beans will begin to break up.
- Cut up your 2 Tbl. butter into 8 pieces and dot top.
- Cover and heat over high til hot throughout.
- About 45 minutes.
- You can also do this on the stove, or even in the oven in a casserole dish (covered.).