Recipe by bullwinkle
This is a once in a Blue Moon dish. The times for preparing and cooking are approx.
Top Review by stephanierndos
Wow! Just the recipe I was craving tonigh ~ thanks much! This one is a keeper for sure and went great with my country fried pork chops, fried squash, & grandma's cornbread dressing - YUM-OH!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 lbs smoked ham hock
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper (I use less)
- 6 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a heavy 3 quart pan.
- Add onions and cook over low heat for a few minutes but not let the onions get brown.
- Except for the remaining stick of butter and salt add all of the remaining ingredients to the onions.
- Partially cover and bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Then lower the heat and cover completley.
- Simmer at least 15 minutes or until green beans are cooked to the tenderness you like.
- Drain off the liquid and remove ham hock.
- Take the skin off the ham hock and cut meat from the bone.
- Return the meat to the beans.
- Add salt and the remaining butter an toss until butter is melted and green beans are coated.