Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Mmmmmmmmmm, I love blackberries!! If you do too, you might like to try this sometime! It's really good warm with vanilla ice cream, too!! ;)
- 2 pints fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (9 inch) double crust pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon sugar, more if desired
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Rinse blackberries in colander, dry on papertowels.
- Make and roll out enough pie dough to line a regular (not deep-dish) 9" pie plate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to keep cold. Wrap other ball (rest)of dough and chill, too.
- Place blackberries in large bowl, sprinkle with lemon juice. Set aside.
- In small bowl, mix 1 cup sugar with the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle over berries and slightly toss very gently.
- Remove dough-lined plate from fridge,(uncover), and gently pour berries into pie plate. Be sure to slightly mound them in the center.
- Evenly dot top of berries with cut up butter.
- Set aside.
- Roll out second portion of pie dough to an 11" circle.
- Cut a 2" cross in center. Fold back each center point to create a steam vent.
- Place top crust over filling.
- Fold edge of top crust under edge of bottom crust and press together to seal.
- Stick four toothpicks down through the points (folds) of steam vents on the top crust to hold in place while baking.
- Crimp edge of pie crust all the way around.
- Brush top with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pie on foil-lined cookie sheet to catch any spills.
- Cover edge of pie crust with foil to prevent over-browning.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or til juices bubble through steam vent and crust is golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Remove toothpicks.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream if preferred!
the milk and butter technique for the topping of the pie crust works soo good, that's what my mom and i have done for years. best way to make a pie!!
This was the first pie I ever made. My DH (who is super picky) loved this and said that he hasn't had such a good pie in a very long time. I was surprised by how easy pie is to make...now I uderstand the saying "easy as pie". :o)
We get tons of blackberries where I live so I had to try this. Great taste and easy to make. Used Means' Classic Pie Crust Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial. Thanks for sharing!