Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
There is nothing like homemade chili sauce, it's well worth the effort to make, especially when tomatoes and fruit are at there cheapest. This is wonderful with chicken, turkey, even on burgers, you can process this is you wish, but it will keep refrigerated for up to 3 weeks and only gets better with chilling time! You can also make this using apples, peeled and chopped in place of peaches, or use a mixture of peaches AND nectarines! If you prefer a spicy sauce like my family does then add in some dried chili flakes to taste.
- 8 large peaches (or use nectarines)
- 5 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large bell pepper (seeded and finely chopped into 1/2-inch pieces, use red or green peppers)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2⁄3 cup white vinegar (or use cider vinegar)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (can use more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Slice the peaches or nectarines in half, discard the pits and coarsely chop the fruit into about 1/2-inch pieces.
- Peel the tomatoes if you wish, then chop into the same size pieces as the fruit.
- Place the peaches, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper and garlic in a large saucepan; stir in vinegar, sugar, salt, ginger, allspice and cinnamon, bring to a boil uncovered, stirring often over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium; boil gently uncovered, stirring occasionally until peaches become soft and the mixture thickens a little (about 20 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer uncovered until the mixture is very thick like applesauce and a small amount of liquid remains (about 20-25 minutes, to prevent sticking to the pan stir frequently near end of cooking).
- Cool and pour into glass jars and chill for up to 3 weeks, or process in a water bath to store for a longer time.
wow what a great sauce i made it this afternoon to use up my vegatables. As my children dont like their food chunky i put it in the blender and it was just great It wont stay in my fridge for 3 weeks thats for sure thanks for the great recipe.