1 hr 25 mins
There is nothing like homemade chili sauce, it's well worth the effort to make, especially when tomatoes and fruit are at there cheapest. This is wonderful with chicken, turkey, even on burgers, you can process this is you wish, but it will keep refrigerated for up to 3 weeks and only gets better with chilling time! You can also make this using apples, peeled and chopped in place of peaches, or use a mixture of peaches AND nectarines! If you prefer a spicy sauce like my family does then add in some dried chili flakes to taste.
My Private Note
cups (a ...
Units: US | Metric
- 8 large peaches (or use nectarines)
- 5 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large bell pepper (seeded and finely chopped into 1/2-inch pieces, use red or green peppers)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2/3 cup white vinegar (or use cider vinegar)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (can use more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Slice the peaches or nectarines in half, discard the pits and coarsely chop the fruit into about 1/2-inch pieces.
- 2Peel the tomatoes if you wish, then chop into the same size pieces as the fruit.
- 3Place the peaches, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper and garlic in a large saucepan; stir in vinegar, sugar, salt, ginger, allspice and cinnamon, bring to a boil uncovered, stirring often over high heat.
- 4Reduce the heat to medium; boil gently uncovered, stirring occasionally until peaches become soft and the mixture thickens a little (about 20 minutes).
- 5Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer uncovered until the mixture is very thick like applesauce and a small amount of liquid remains (about 20-25 minutes, to prevent sticking to the pan stir frequently near end of cooking).
- 6Cool and pour into glass jars and chill for up to 3 weeks, or process in a water bath to store for a longer time.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country-Style Chili Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (2863 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.5
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 507.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 34.0 g
- Protein 3.2 g