1/1 Photo of Country Style Chicken Curry With Dhal
Brian Holley's Note:
This simple country style recipe was sent to me by an Indian friend. The use of a pressure cooker cuts the cooking time, so the whole dish is finished in under half an hour. You won't find this food in an Indian restaurant, as it is very authentic. Tastey, serve with plain boiled rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 750 g chicken, cubed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed to a paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut, dessicated non sweetened
- 300 ml water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 150 g lentils, precooked (bottled)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped
- 1Heat the oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and 2 tsp garam masala. Fry till the onions just start to colour.
- 2Add the ginger, garlic, tumeric and chicken. Stir to coat the chicken with the spices.
- 3Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, coconut, water and stock cube.
- 4Place lid on cooker and bring up to presure, cook for 10 minutes.
- 5Release the pressure, add the lentils, stir through to allow the lentils to warm, add the last of the garam masala stir. Adjust seasoning to your taste.
- 6Serve garnished with the chopped coriander leaves.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Style Chicken Curry With Dhal
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 539.4
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 140.7 mg
- Sodium 436.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 39.1 g