Prep 24 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
This is the only way we eat baked beans at home. It does take a while to cook but the flavor is well worth it and the leftovers are even better. Instead of bacon or ham you can also use the leftover bone from ham without needing to any additional meat. Perfect with ribs, hamburgers or just plain hot dogs on a weekend afternoon.
- 2 cups navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -4 bay leaves
- 1 large onion
- 1 lb bacon or 1 lb ham
- Soak the beans in cold water over night for best results.
- Cook the bacon or ham until done and drain off the fat.
- Drain the beans place in large casserole dish add 6 cups of cold water.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients and stir till everything is mixed well.
- Bake in oven at 350 covered for 4-5 hours, checking every hour.
- When the beans begin to look like they absorbed most of the liquids add the 2 more cups of water and continue baking until most of the added liquid is absorbed and beans are soft.
Cut the recipe down for us but otherwise made a written. (I did use fresh garlic over the garlic powder) Very tasty dish! Served with Cajun Collards#347324 and Pulled Pork#362125. Thank you for posting. Made for Fall PAC tag game.