Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just what you would get at an old country store.
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 lb candied ginger, finely chopped
- In a heavy saucepan, bring milk to a boil, then remove pan from heat.
- Add sugars and corn syrup and stir until sugars are dissolved.
- Return pan to heat and allow mixture to reach boiling point, stirring constantly.
- Cover pan with tight-fitting lid and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 238°F on your candy thermometer.
- Then remove from heat and let cool to 110°F.
- Add butter and beat until mixture begins to thicken.
- Then beat in vanilla and ginger.
- Pout onto a buttered slab or stoneware platter.
- Cut into squares when cool.