Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Fast, large, easy sponge cake. I use this for Strawberry Shortcake or with fresh peaches and cream.
- 6 large eggs, separated at room temperature
- 1.23 ml cream of tartar
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 14.79 ml lemon, zest, fresh grated
- 236.59 ml cake flour, sifted
- Preheat oven 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Set aside.
- In other mixer bowl beat egg yolks on high speed for one minute.
- Add the sugar, salt, lemon juice, and zest.
- Beat on high speed for 5 minutes.
- By hand, with a spatula, fold the flour quickly into the yolk mixture.
- Add about 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the mixture and fold in also.
- Add the remaining whites in two additions, folding and combining well but not deflating the air beaten into the whites. Little patches of white still show, that's okay.
- Place in an UNGREASED angel food TUBE pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes; top will be a nice golden brown.
- Remove from oven to a rack to cool for one hour undisturbed.
- Loosen around edges and bottom with sharp knife.
- Tip cake out of pan onto rack and cool completely before serving or storing.
This is such a beautiful five star cake. I have made it several times now, and each and every time it has been fabulous. Great recipe, thanks.