Recipe by emitpan
A bit of trouble to make, but worth it. A meal on their own. Third runner up in the Cook's Country recipe contest. From Cook's Country Feb/March 2008 by Pamela Shank
- 8 ounces bulk sausage
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, cold, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 red onion, copped fine
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add 2 C flour 2 1/2 T sugar, 2 t baking powder, 1 t baking soda, 1 t salt, 6 T cut butter, and 8 oz grated cheddar.
- Finely chop 1/2 red onion and 1/2 red bell pepper and add to mixture in the food processor bowl.
- Add cooled sausage to the mixture in the food processor and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer to large bowl.
- Whisk egg and buttermilk in mixing cup and stir into flour mixture until well combined.
- Grease and flour 12-cup muffin tin and spoon batter inches Bake until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool in tin for 5 minutes. Remove and serve.