A bit of trouble to make, but worth it. A meal on their own. Third runner up in the Cook's Country recipe contest. From Cook's Country Feb/March 2008 by Pamela Shank
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces bulk sausage
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, cold, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1/2 red onion, copped fine
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1Cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- 2Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375.
- 3In the bowl of a food processor, add 2 C flour 2 1/2 T sugar, 2 t baking powder, 1 t baking soda, 1 t salt, 6 T cut butter, and 8 oz grated cheddar.
- 4Finely chop 1/2 red onion and 1/2 red bell pepper and add to mixture in the food processor bowl.
- 5Add cooled sausage to the mixture in the food processor and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer to large bowl.
- 6Whisk egg and buttermilk in mixing cup and stir into flour mixture until well combined.
- 7Grease and flour 12-cup muffin tin and spoon batter inches Bake until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 20 to 25 minutes.
- 8Cool in tin for 5 minutes. Remove and serve.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Sausage and Cheese Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (1189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.7
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 65.0 mg
- Sodium 646.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 10.8 g