1 hr 25 mins
In 'Lidia Cooks From the Heart of Italy'. From the Trentino-Alto Adige region. If you cannot get real Italian Asiago, Ms. Lidia recommends using fresh Grana Padano or good mild American cheddar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb cauliflower
- 3/4 lb small red potato
- 1 large crisp apple (1/2 lb. or so)
- 8 small radishes (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup red onion, 1/4-inch dice
- 8 ounces imported italian asiago cheese, rind removed, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup toasted coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1Fill a pot or saucepan with 3 quarts water, and heat it to boiling.
- 2Tear off any tough leaves at the base of the cauliflower and cut out the core; break or cut the large branches in to small florets, drop them into the boiling water, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 3Lift from water, and drain well in a colander; when cool, put the florets in a large bowl.
- 4As soon as the cauliflower is out of the pot, return the water to a boil and drop in the potatoes; cook them at a gentle boil just until a knife blade pierces the center easily--don't let them get mushy.
- 5Drain and briefly cool the potatoes; peel them while still warm, cut into 1/4-inch dice, and put them in the serving bowl with the cauliflower.
- 6Peel and core the apples; cut into 1/4-inch dice, and add to the salad bowl.
- 7Trim the radishes, quarter them in wedges, and drop into the bowl along with the diced onion, cubes of Asiago, and toasted walnuts.
- 8Sprinkle the salt over the salad pieces and toss; drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the salad and toss; sprinkle on the parsley and toss once more, and serve.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Salad (Lidia Bastianich)
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.7
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 320.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: