Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons Bourbon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- In a heavy saucepan combine the milk, rice, sugar, nutmeg, lemon zest and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer , uncovered, until rice is tender and mixture begins to thicken, about 20 - 25 minutes, skimming any foam that may come to the surface. Stir in the egg and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in bourbon and vanilla extract. Chill before serving.
- Sprinkle with Cinnamon Sugar before serving.
- CINNAMON SUGAR: Combine cinnamon and sugar and store in a tightly covered bowl.
YUM - I tempered the egg before I added to the rice pudding, but not sure it actually needed the egg. I think it would still have been good without it. I did cook this in a double boiler, so took quite a bit longer, but eliminates the need to stir all the time. I also didn't add the bourban, but next time I have some Southern Comfort, I'm going to add that.
I also added a little Amaretto...WOW it was great!
I used orange zest, replaced nutmeg with five spice powder, and dark rum. Amazing flavor--will make it again.