Recipe by Jen T
This is the recipe used in our local country pub and given to me by the chef. You can also brown some chopped bacon (a smoked bacon is nice) with the mushrooms and follow the recipe to make a very easy entrée served on crisp buttered toast or add some chopped cooked chicken to the sauce (we like it with bacon & chicken) and serve stirred through some hot cooked pasta spirals for a quick meal. It is a very versatile recipe but we like it best served over a nice juicey grilled steak. :) Note: I use a good heaped teaspoon of crushed garlic from a jar in place of the 1 clove garlic because we like garlic and also I season well with freshly ground black pepper & a little salt if needed.
Top Review by Chef floWer
We all really enjoyed this mushroom sauce. I had to substitute the cream for lactose free cream (So Little Miss (DD) could also eat it) and then kept to the recipe. We served it on top of chicken schnitzel and for sides we had Recipe #396253. Thanks so much Jen T for a wonderful recipe.
- 30 g butter
- 350 g mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock (or 1tsp chicken stock powder in 1/2cup water. I use Maggi stock.)
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 garlic clove (more if liked, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chives (chopped or spring onions sliced) (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the mushrooms in the butter until soft.
- If using add in some chopped bacon and continue cooking til this is lightly cooked.
- Add wine, stock, cream and garlic.
- If using now is the time to add in some cooked chopped chicken.
- Bring to a boil and then continue cooking for a few minutes uncovered until thickened to the consistency you like.
- Add chives if using and serve either as is over steak etc, or with bacon added over some toast triangles, or with chicken & bacon added over spiral pasta.