Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
From Cooking Light magazine. Leave out the Ham for a vegetarian dish.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups ham, diced
- 3 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, saute 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Combine milk, salt, pepper and flour, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan. Bring to a simmer, cook until slightly thick (about 2 minutes), stirring frequently. Add 4 ounces cheese and ham, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in potatoes.
- Place potato mixture in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until lightly browned and potatoes are tender.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.