Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Wonderful for Sunday dinner.
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) boneless beef chuck roast
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups onions, wedges
- 8 small potatoes
- 2 cups carrots, chunks
- 2 medium turnips, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- Mix the 1/3 cup flour, salt and pepper; coat meat.
- Melt shortning in Dutch oven and brown meat on both sides.
- Add the 2 cups water and bay leaf, simmer for 2 hours.
- Add more water if needed during cooking.
- Add vegetables, garlic and green pepper; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove meat and vegetables.
- Strain pan liquid and add enough water to make 1-1/2 cups.
- Return to dutch oven.
- Mix the 1/2 cup flour with water until smooth.
- Slowly stir into dutch oven, bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Serve gravy with roast and vegetables.
Definately a wonderful recipe. This tasted so good, and the gravy was excellent. I liked adding turnips to the rest of the vegetables. It was absolutely wonderful (as I knew it would be)! Thanks, Nez, for posting this one.
Everyone really enjoyed your recipe for pot roast! I did leave out the green peppers and the turnips, because I was out and I don't like turnips. The gravy turned out great. I served this with a spinach mandarin salad and honey-mustard dressing. Thanks!