Recipe by Sandy in Oklahoma
When I was young, we ate a lot of pork and chicken. I suppose it was less expensive than beef. I've eaten many bowls of this hearty filling soup while sitting at my grandma's table.
Top Review by Caroline Cooks
Delicious! Mine turn out to be more of a stew, but I like stews even better. Added some broccoli for color and didn't peel the red potatoes. Made for PotLuck event in Cooking Photos.
- 1 lb pork loin, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup cubed peeled potato
- 1 (8 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups hot water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, cut up
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 (10 ounce) packagesliced frozen okra (optional)
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Add oil to dutch oven and heat over medium heat. When oil is heated, add pork and brown. Add carrots, celery and potatoes. Cook 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients except okra. Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring often.
- Add okra and cook 15 additional minutes.
- Serve with crackers or cornbread.