2 hrs 20 mins
Perfect cold weather dinner. Braised country ribs in a non-Italian tasting tomato, onion, garlic gravy. Most of the garlic and onion melt into the gravy. Wonderful flavor with few ingredients. No spaghetti sauce taste but the "gravy" would be a great, different not-sweet spaghetti sauce. I suppose you could use Italian herbs, but don't! Try it this way first. Make a big batch because this freezes well and the frozen leftovers were delicious. I believe I found this at about.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18-1814.36 g country-style pork ribs, cut into 3- to 4-inch lengths
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 9.85 ml olive oil, divided use
- 3 medium sweet onions, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rings
- 1 head about 12 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 793.78 g can crushed peeled tomatoes
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes
- 473.18 ml water
- 453.59 g pasta, of choice cooked al dente
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
- 1Heat a large, heavy Dutch oven over medium high heat. When hot, add teaspoon of olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Sear the pork ribs on both sides until golden brown, turning only once. You may need to do this in batches. Do not crowd the pan. Remove to a platter.
- 2Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the Dutch oven, along with the sweet onion rings. Toss to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and sweat the onions, stirring often, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic, both cans of tomatoes, and water to the onions. Stir to combine, then return the pork ribs to the pot along with any collected juices.
- 4Simmer the pork ribs in the tomato gravy 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until pork is tender. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if warranted.
- 5Stir 1 cup of the tomato gravy into the cooked pasta as soon as it is done. Portion the pasta into shallow bowls, top with pork ribs, spoon on some tomato gravy, and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Pork Ribs in Tomato Gravy Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (574 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 981.5
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 168.1 mg
- Sodium 174.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 63.3 g