Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
Inside a tender pastry shell hides a fresh peach, seasoned with earthy spices and a drizzle of honey.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 medium ripe peaches, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- honey (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 3 ingredients and cut in the 1 cup of butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle 1/3 cup milk, 1 tablespoon at a time evenly over surface; stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Divide dough into 6 portions. Roll each portion of dough into a 7-inch square on a lightly floured surface.
- Combine sugar and next 5 ingredients; reserve 2 tablespoons of this mixture and set aside. Coat each peach with remaining sugar mixture and place in the center of a pastry square.
- For each dumpling, moisten edges of dough with milk and pull corners of square over peach; pinch dough together sealing all seams.
- Freeze the dumplings for 30 minutes.
- Place dumplings in a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Drizzle each one with a teaspoon of butter and sprinkle with reserved sugar mixture.
- Bake at 425°F for 35 minutes. Drizzle with honey before serving.