Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I recently had this at a restaurant and found the recipe similar to it on the internet and wanted to keep it for safe keeping. Really good home-style cooking!
- Soak chicken pieces in buttermilk in the refrigerator for one hour.
- In bowl, combine 2 cups flour, salt, and pepper.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk and roll in flour. Discard buttermilk.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large oven-proof skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter.
- Add chicken and fry about 5 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Drain off the excess margarine and bits of chicken into a saucepan and add other 1/4 cup of margarine.
- Place chicken back in skillet and place in oven. Bake 20 minutes or until internal temperature is 165 degrees.
- Add 1/4 cup flour to margarine in saucepan while chicken is baking. Cook over medium heat 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil, whisking together, until thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove chicken from oven and pour gravy over, simmering about 10 minutes in the gravy.
- Serve over mashed potatoes and garnish with parsley.
This is so like like the old fashioned Chicken and Gravy, a classic and comfort food at it's best! Made as directed and was so pleased with the results that it has been added to my repeatable folder. Thank you for posting this delicious and easy to make recipe.