Top Review by Happy Harry #2
This was soooo good! I had a hungry bunch of college students at a brunch and along with other items, this was a BIG hit. I tripled the recipe and cooked in a 9x13 inch pan. I sliced and carmelized the onions first, and added garlic powder to the meat. Everything else was as you wrote...and you wrote a good one! This is going into my "Make Again Cookbook"!
- 1 large onion, chopped,divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, saute 1/2 cup onion in oil.
- Add hashbrowns, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until hash browns are thawed.
- Press mixture into an ungreased 10 inch pie plate, forming a shell.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, cook the beef, peppers and remaining onion until meat is browned; drain.
- Stir in parsley.
- Spoon into the potato shell.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, paprika and remaining salt and pepper; pour over meat mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until tests done.
- Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.