Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My family loves this. From Taste of Home.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half cream or 2⁄3 cup milk
- In a 2-quart saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually stir in broth until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper and bay leaves.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute the celery and onion in oil until tender.
- Add mushrooms, cook and stir until tender.
- Add to broth mixture; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream, heat through.
- Discard bay leaves.
This soup was delicious! I left out the bay leeaves and celery because I didn't have any and I used 1% milk. It was yummy and even my daughter, who doesn't like mushroom soup, loved it! Will definitely make it again.
Thanks for posting this recipe, It is wonderful, I doubled the recipe and with a green salad it made a wonderful dinner. This has been adopted as a family favorite here too.