Recipe by chefmick
I've made biscuits and gravy for years in many different ways. Once I hit on the idea of using buttermilk I knew I had a keeper. Hope you enjoy it too.
Top Review by JackieKruel
This recipe was so salty and hot even with having the salt to 1 and 1/2 teaspoons and the pepper to 1 teaspoon in was inedible and had to be thrown out. I also has too much flour and tasted like paste. Not a good recipe even with the buttermilk. A waste of time and money.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons salt (optional to taste)
- 2 teaspoons pepper (optional to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In med sauce pan heat milk, salt and pepper to a low boil on med to med high heat. (you need to stir frequently so milk does not scorch.).
- Whisk 1/2 cup flour and the 1/2 cup milk to a slurry and slowly stir into hot milk. (at this point you will want to stir constantly as the flour will have a tendency to collect on the bottom of the pan and burn.).
- Reduce to simmer stirring constantly for 10 minutes or so until gravy reaches desired thickness. (Simmering will cook the flour and remove the pasty flavor. Gravy will thicken a little more as it cools.).
- This is good by itself but you can also add your favorite meat for additional flavor. Serve over your favorite biscuit recipe.