Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very old recipe from Favorite Recipes of Kentucky and Tennessee. I have used this cookbook more than any I have. It belonged to my Grandmother and is about worn out.
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄3 cups instant rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- For Crust:.
- Combine all crust ingredients and mix well.
- Pat meat mixture into a greased pie pan.
- Pinch 1-inch fluting around the edges.
- For Filling:.
- Combine the rice, tomato sauce, salt, water and 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Spoon mixture into meat shell.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
- Return to oven and bake uncovered 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- Cut into pie-shaped pieces.
I was looking for a quick-to-prepare meal as an alternate to meatloaf. A friend mentioned a rice and meat pie that her mom would make so I set out to find a recipe while waiting for my friends copy. Well this beat meatloaf hands down. The whole family enjoyed it. You could probably give it a Mexican spin using salsa. Only recommendation is to use 'no salt' tomato sauce or cut down on the salt added, because when you add the cheese it can be a bit too salty. Thanks for sharing!
I made this for PAC Fall 2006. My family loved this!! DH says it needs to be made weekly! I love that kind of reaction! This is a keeper for sure! Thanks so much for the recipe!