Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Cooking Light. Per 1 cup serving: 248 calories, 7.2 gfat, 11.8 g protein, 35.4 g carb, 11.2 g fiber, 13 mg cholesterol.
Top Review by TiffyR
These are so great, and I am so glad to find the recipe here as the one I clipped out of Cooking Light several years ago is almost unreadable! As I recall this was the article about the founder of Williams-Sonoma and contained several fantastic recipes. I usually shred my carrots rather than chopping. Then all the veggies are just butter soft! Comfort food at its best.
- 2 cups dried lima beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter, sofened
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and wash the beans; place in a large Dutch oven.
- Add water to cover 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain beans; return beans to the pot; stir in salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Fry bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon from pan using a slotted spoon; set bacon aside.
- Add onion and carrot to drippings in pan; saute 5 minutes or until golden.
- Add onion mixture, bacon, 2 cups water, and butter to bean mixture; stir well.
- Cover and bake for 2 1/2 hours or until beans are very tender, stirring every hour.