Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Potatoes cooked with garlic and mashed with sour cream and a mixture of butter, milk, rosemary, chives and parsley. For a special touch, use ground white pepper.
- 4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- white pepper
- Place potatoes and garlic in a heavy saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer partly covered about 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain well, return the potatoes to the pan and place over high heat.
- Briefly stir or shake the pan to keep potatoes from sticking or burning until the outside of the potatoes begin to dry to a white color (1 to 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- While the potatoes are cooking,chop the herbs, add the milk and butter to a small sauce pan and heat until butter is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the rosemary, chives and parsley.
- With an electric mixer, beat the potatoes and garlic until smooth.
- Beat in the milk-herb mixture, sour cream and season with the salt and pepper.
These were very tasty and enjoyed by thw whole family. I loved the taste of the fresh herbs, which added a unique flavor and also made the mashed potatoes look attractive. The directions were also clear and accurate. Thanks for a delcious new way to perk up mashed potatoes.
A nice way to serve mashed potatoes. I didn't boil the garlic in with the potatoes. I sauted minced garlic in the butter and only used three garlic heads. I also added 3 ounces of low-fat cream cheese which makes the potatoes even fluffier.
Carol, these were absolutely delicious! My husband is a mashed potato fanatic, and he just raved over these! I will definately be making these again! I did only use 2 cloves garlic cause DH told me he doesn't like garlic. He doesn't even realize I use it all the time! Thanks for a keeper!