Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 hrs
I created this on a busy hockey weekend - I wanted something warm to come home to after spending a long day at the hockey rink. This was just the ticket... and I got to clean out my cupboards too!
- 1 cup dried lentils (I used a mix of red, brown, green and yellow)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces lean ground beef, browned
- 3 ounces celery, thinly sliced (3 stalks)
- 3 ounces baby carrots, thinly slieced (good-sized handful)
- 1⁄2 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- Brown ground beef.
- Combine all ingredients in 4-5qt crock pot.
- Cook on low at least 12 hours or high for 6 hours. I do a combination of high/low, when I made this I did low for 5 hours and high for 4 hours.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- *Note: when I saved the leftovers, I added another cup of water to prevent it from becoming too thick the next day. It made very yummy leftovers!
I substituted Bulgar Wheat for the hamburger in mine to make it vegetarian and we loved this!
Easy recipe to throw together in the morning, put it all in the crock pot and let it simmer throughout the day. I substituted red beans for the lentils and I did add 2 extra cups of beef broth to make it soupier.
Love it. Will make again.... For sure