Recipe by Brooke the Cook in WI
I created this on a busy hockey weekend - I wanted something warm to come home to after spending a long day at the hockey rink. This was just the ticket... and I got to clean out my cupboards too!
- 1 cup dried lentils (I used a mix of red, brown, green and yellow)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces lean ground beef, browned
- 3 ounces celery, thinly sliced (3 stalks)
- 3 ounces baby carrots, thinly slieced (good-sized handful)
- 1⁄2 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 -2 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef.
- Combine all ingredients in 4-5qt crock pot.
- Cook on low at least 12 hours or high for 6 hours. I do a combination of high/low, when I made this I did low for 5 hours and high for 4 hours.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- *Note: when I saved the leftovers, I added another cup of water to prevent it from becoming too thick the next day. It made very yummy leftovers!