Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a hearty chowder that my family loves. It's easy to put together and can be doubled or tippled with no problem. This is great on a cold day.
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 - inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard (I usually leave this out ) (optional)
- 1 cup finely chopped ham (i add extra ham )
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (you can use medium cheddar instead)
- Simmer potatoes in 3/4 cup of water in a covered saucepan for about 10 minutes or until tender. Teserve any liquid for soup.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Sauté onion carrot and celery until golden and soft. Do not brown.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring well.
- Add milk potatoes with liquid, pepper salt and mustard if used. bring to a simmer.
- Add ham and cheese. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot or keep warm over very low heat with lid until ready to serve.