Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Southern Living Apr 2012
Make and share this Country Ham Carbonara recipe from Food.com.
- 255.14 g packagerefrigerated fettuccine
- 177.44 ml chopped country ham
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 pasteurized egg yolks
- 118.29 ml freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh chives
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 2.46 ml freshly cracked pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups hot pasta water.
- Cook ham in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove ham, reserving drippings in skillet. Drain on paper towels.
- Sauté shallots in hot drippings 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add reserved pasta water to shallots and garlic; bring to boil.
- Stir in hot cooked pasta, and remove from heat. Stir in egg yolks, 1 at a time.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until creamy. Remove from heat; add cooked ham, Parmesan cheese, and remaining ingredients.
- Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.