Recipe by Barb in WNY
I don't know where I got this recipe, but I love recipes that have ingredients generally on hand. A good use for leftover ham.
Top Review by LisaAD
Fabulous! I happened to have all the ingredients on hand! What a great recipe to use up all the Easter ham! The flavor in this was really good! My only difference is that I did not use the cheese. The soup was very good! Thanks for posting!
- 2 large white onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup cooked ham
- 7 cups water
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large potatoes, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover and cook onions in butter in a 4 quart Dutch oven over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in parsley, garlic, bay leaves, and ham.
- Cook, uncovered over high heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves and top each serving with the cheese.