Recipe by Misti_Country_Girl
No posts for just a gravy mix...
Top Review by stefraffel
I have experimented with white country gravy mixtures for some time and have come up with this. It's directed towards use with biscuits and gravy or country fried steaks rather than specifically for chicken. I use it for chicken pot pies. 1 cup flour 2 Tbs. corn starch 2/3 cup dry milk 1/4 cup buttermilk powder 3 Tbs. dry coffee creamer 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp paprika (plus 1/2 tsp cayenne, optional) 1-1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper or pepper blend 2-3 tsp salt (I suggest going light--you can always add more later) To prepare gravy: Bring 1 1/2 cups water plus 1 Tbs butter to a boil. Blend 1/2 cup mixture with 1/2 cup cold water. Whisk this into boiling water. Boil for a few minutes to cook the flour and starch. Put lid on and set aside. It will continue to thicken a bit.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients well and store in a tightly sealed container.
- To make Gravy: Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the oil used to fry the chicken (or melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter) in a skillet.
- Over low heat, mix in 2 tablespoons of the Country Gravy Mix.
- Stirring constantly, cook about 2 minutes. Whisk in 1 cup chicken broth, scraping browned bits off bottom of skillet.
- Stir in 1 cup milk and bring all to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with chicken, mashed potatoes or biscuits.