- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (or drippings)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups milk (for more savory flavor, use 3 cups milk and 1 cup chicken or beef broth)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir in milk so that no lumps form, and continue cooking and stirring until desired thickness.