Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simple and traditional recipe. Perfect over country fried steak / chicken. Add crumbled (fully cooked) pork sausage and serve over biscuits for breakfast.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (or drippings)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups milk (for more savory flavor, use 3 cups milk and 1 cup chicken or beef broth)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir in milk so that no lumps form, and continue cooking and stirring until desired thickness.
This is so easy and tastes great!
We love country gravy and this was very good. I used some drippings from the chicken that I baked and they added a nice flavor as well. Thanks for sharing Jenni Girl. Made for Spring 2013 PAC.
Wow, i sure got praise for this one!!! I'm not a gravy person but my DH is a Texan and considers himself an expert. He took one taste and said that it made him instantly crave chicken fried steak which is the true test of a good gravy. I wasn't sure about using just oil, so I did 6 Tbs butter and 2 Tbs oil. Thanks so much Jenni Girl! You sure made DH's night.