Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the book, "Aunt Bee's Delightful Desserts" by Ken Beck and Jim Clark
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large carrots or 3 medium carrots, grated
- 2 extra large eggs or 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup orange blossom honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 2⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup plain cornmeal (not self-rising)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease (with margarine) and flour a loaf pan.
- Mix bananas, carrots, eggs, oil, honey, ginger and lemon juice, either by hand or with electric mixer on low speed.
- Stir flour, cornmeal, slat, baking soda and allspice in a separate bowl.
- Stir flour mixture and then walnuts into wet mixture, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on a rack.
- (You can grate ginger with a cheese grater and put it in the lemon juice while you prepare the rest of the mixture. Then strain the lemon juice and add it to the batter. That way you won't have pieces of ginger in the bread and the ginger flavor won't be too strong).
These were excellent! Moist and flavorful with a nutty crunch. I didn't have fresh ginger so I added a teaspoon of ground cardamom and some cinnamon. My only suggestion is to make sure you tap the excess flour out of the pan thoroughly so you don't get a mouthful of flour on the finished product.
Liked everything about this EXCEPT the cornmeal. It made the loaf a bit "gritty". Other than that, the flavors are great, the loaf is moist, and not too sweet. I subbed Fireweed honey for the orange blossom. I am going to try it again and maybe use ground flax seed meal for the cornmeal.