1/1 Photo of Country Garden Chicken With Cheesy Grits
Meri Beth's Note:
This came from a Publix recipe and we loved it so much that I'm posting it here for easy reference! I personally used some white sawmill country gravy mix I had on hand and Shake'n Bake chicken flavored breading. I highly recommend McCormick's "Vegetable Supreme" seasoning as the blend used. You can cut the carbs by about 50% in the chicken recipe by pan-frying the chicken without the breading. SUGGESTED ITEMS TO SERVE WITH: apple pie, cornbread, okra. COOKING SEQUENCE: Bread chicken and begin to cook - 10 minutes. While chicken cooks, prepare grits, complete chicken and serve - 15 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cutlets
- 1 2/3 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup chicken coating mix
- 1/4 cup pre-diced fresh tomato
- 1/4 cup pre-diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup pre-diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons vegetable seasoning, blend
- 1 (5/8 ounce) packet country gravy mix
Cheesy Grits Ingredients
- 1Place oil in large sauté pan and heat on medium-high 2–3 minutes.
- 2Moisten chicken with 1 tablespoon water. Place breading mix in bowl. Coat chicken, one piece at a time, by pressing into breading mix; turn and coat other side. (For thicker breading, coat twice.) Set chicken aside. Wash hands.
- 3Place chicken, using tongs, in hot oil and cook 6–8 minutes, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden brown. Remove chicken from pan; cover to keep warm.
- 4While chicken cooks, prepare grits.
- 5Stir tomatoes, green peppers, onions and vegetable seasoning into pan with drippings. Heat over medium-high heat 2–3 minutes until onions are translucent. Stir in gravy mix and gradually add remaining 1 1/2 cups water, stirring continually, until sauce is smooth. Reduce heat to low and cook 2–3 minutes, stirring often, to heat thoroughly. Serve sauce over chicken.
- 6Grits Preparation Steps
- 7Combine all ingredients in microwave-safe bowl.
- 8Cover and microwave on HIGH 6 minutes, until water is absorbed, stirring once. Serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Garden Chicken With Cheesy Grits
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 702.2
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 109.2 mg
- Sodium 227.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 43.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chicken coating mix