Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This came from a Publix recipe and we loved it so much that I'm posting it here for easy reference! I personally used some white sawmill country gravy mix I had on hand and Shake'n Bake chicken flavored breading. I highly recommend McCormick's "Vegetable Supreme" seasoning as the blend used. You can cut the carbs by about 50% in the chicken recipe by pan-frying the chicken without the breading. SUGGESTED ITEMS TO SERVE WITH: apple pie, cornbread, okra. COOKING SEQUENCE: Bread chicken and begin to cook - 10 minutes. While chicken cooks, prepare grits, complete chicken and serve - 15 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cutlets
- 1 2⁄3 cups water, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chicken coating mix
- 1⁄4 cup pre-diced fresh tomato
- 1⁄4 cup pre-diced green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup pre-diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons vegetable seasoning, blend
- 1 (5/8 ounce) packet country gravy mix
Cheesy Grits Ingredients
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups instant grits
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place oil in large sauté pan and heat on medium-high 2–3 minutes.
- Moisten chicken with 1 tablespoon water. Place breading mix in bowl. Coat chicken, one piece at a time, by pressing into breading mix; turn and coat other side. (For thicker breading, coat twice.) Set chicken aside. Wash hands.
- Place chicken, using tongs, in hot oil and cook 6–8 minutes, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden brown. Remove chicken from pan; cover to keep warm.
- While chicken cooks, prepare grits.
- Stir tomatoes, green peppers, onions and vegetable seasoning into pan with drippings. Heat over medium-high heat 2–3 minutes until onions are translucent. Stir in gravy mix and gradually add remaining 1 1/2 cups water, stirring continually, until sauce is smooth. Reduce heat to low and cook 2–3 minutes, stirring often, to heat thoroughly. Serve sauce over chicken.
- Grits Preparation Steps
- Combine all ingredients in microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover and microwave on HIGH 6 minutes, until water is absorbed, stirring once. Serve.