Recipe by GrandmaIsCooking
Adopted Recipe...I worked through all my adopted recipes and made changes to suit my tastes and cooking habits. I do not cook with bacon grease, so I changed the recipe from bacon grease to butter. (Note added 2/5/06).
Top Review by Its Five OClock Somewhere
I made this last night and my husband that has never cared for squash, liked this dish! I used cut up frozen yellow squash and cut back on the water (since frozen tends to have enough moisture). I really enjoyed the flavor and plan on making it again soon.
- 2 -3 lbs yellow squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash tender yellow squash; remove stem and blossom ends.
- Cut into 1/2-inch rounds.
- Place squash, butter, onions and salt into heavy skillet.
- Add water.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat until water is absorbed and squash is tender.
- Lightly mash with a fork.
- Add sugar and cream.
- Let it cook slowly until mixture is fairly dry and flavors develop, being careful not to let it scorch.