Recipe by Petdrwife
Nothing says stick to your ribs meal like Country fried steak with gravy, real mashed potatoes and green beans cooked all day with bacon. Awww heck and just top it off with some peach cobbler then lay on the couch for a long nap. I got this recipe out of taste of home and I thought it was pretty tasty.
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour (divided)
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 beef cube steaks
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (divided)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 3 tablespoons flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Coat steaks with remaining flour.
- Beat egg white and water; dip steaks, then dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, cook two steaks in 1 tablespoon oil for 5-7 minutes on each side or until crisp, lightly browned and cooked as desired.
- Remove steaks and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining oil and steaks.
- Meanwhile, for gravy, melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour until well blended. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for two minutes, stirring constantly; reduce heat to medium low.
- Add bouillon, marjoram, thyme and pepper; simmer, uncoved for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over steaks.