Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My family enjoys this simple version of country-fried steak...you can use cubed beef steak in place of the cubed pork steak as well.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 (4 ounce) pork cube steaks
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
basic seasoning (use 1 teaspoon)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 cup black pepper
- 1⁄8 cup garlic powder
- Combine 1-/12 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoons of pepper in small bowl. Sprinkle one side of the meat with the basic seasoning and the other side of the meat with the seasoning salt. Dredge the meat in the flour mixture.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 or 4 of the steaks (don't overcrowd the pan) to the hot oil and fry until browned (approx. 5 minutes per side). Remove each steak to a paper-towel plate to drain. Repeat with any remaining steaks, adding up to 1/4 cup oil, as needed.
- Make the gravy by adding the 2 T. remaining flour to the pan drippings, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon. Stir in the remaining 1/4 t. pepper and the salt. Reduce the heat to medium, stirring frequently, until the flour is med. brown and the mixture is bubbly. Slowly add the hot water, stirring constantly.
- Return the steaks to the skillet and bring to a boil (can use medium-high heat if needed). Reduce the heat to low and place the onion on top of the steaks.
- Cover the pan and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Special Seasoning:.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour.
- 1/8 cup black pepper.
- 1/8 cup garlic powder.
- (Can be stored in an airtight container for approximately 6 months).
Very good -- first time I made pork cube steaks! I cut the oil way down and probably used a bit more pepper. Thanks for sharing!