Recipe by TiffanyH.
Makes a tender Country Fried Steak with a thick gravy...certainly not healthy but it is DELICIOUS!
Top Review by Jamie Renee
This was really VERY good. I did make just a couple of changes since I had a recipe idea in mind when I found this. First Oh and I seasoned the steak with steak seasoning before I browned it in the skillet. I dont have a cast iron skillet so I used a regular skillet and transferred the meat and gravy to a glass baking dish for the oven cooking. For the gravy Instead of 2 cups water I used about 3 cups of beef broth. I wanted the extra flavor and still found it was super thick after only 2 cups of broth. What I loved was how much gravy I ended up with. Plenty for mashed potatoes too. I cooked on 350 for about 50-55 mins so it was a little more tender. I will definiately make this again!!
- 1 lb cube steak, thawed
- 1 cup olive oil (for frying)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- On stove, heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet.
- Cook cube steak in oil, turning once, until brown (be careful not to overcook it or it will be too tough).
- Remove cube steak from skillet, leaving leftover oil in skillet for gravy.
- Add flour to hot oil and stir to brown for 3-5 minutes. It will probably clump up but that is OK, it will disentigrate in the next step.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add water, milk, salt, and pepper to skillet. Stir continuously until a smooth gravy forms.
- Put cube steak back into skillet with gravy and cover with foil.
- Cook in oven, covered, for 45 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy your meal!