Recipe by Bev
A favorite with our family for years. I serve this with rice. Use milk to thin the gravy if necessary. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Anne Norfolk
Good flavor, but the gravy was really thick and my kids wouldn't touch the dish because of it. Next time I make it, I will add more milk and less flour. My husband and I really enjoyed it.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs cube steaks, cut into serving size peices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk (more if desired)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle steaks with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and garlic salt.
- Dredge steak in 1/2 cup flour and dip into 1/2 cup milk.
- Return to flour and dredge again.
- Brown steaks in hot oil in large, heavy skillet.
- Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels: set aside.
- Pour off pan drippings, reserving 3 tbs.
- Add 1/4 cup flour to drippings; cook over medium heat until bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Add 2 cups milk; cook stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Add steak to gravy; cover and reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove cover and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Serves 8.