Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Classic. Steaks done up in brown gravy with mushrooms--Mmm.
- 1 lb beef, 3/4-inch, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup red wine or 1⁄3 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1 dash cayenne
- Cut meat into 4 pieces. Pound both sides so meat is about 1/4-inch thick.
- In plastic bag, mix mustard, salt, 3 Tb. flour and 1/8 teaspoons cayenne.
- Shake meat, one piece at a time, in bag.
- In hot oil in skillet, cook pieces 2 minutes on each side. Keep warm in foil. Save drippings for gravy.
- Add mushrooms to drippings; cook 3 minutes. Stir in 1 Tb. flour to make thick.
- Add remaining ingredients. Boil for 1 minute till thick.
- Serve over meat.