Recipe by TasteTester
There are so many ways to make country-fried steak that many people have their own special recipe. This is what we make, and I don't see a similar recipe here so I'm posting the one we use. We usually serve it with mashed potatoes and green beans.
Top Review by happynana
Delish Comfort Food. I used 3 cube steaks. I added garlic powder and pepper to the flour mixture. The cube steaks were excellent and were a definite 5. DH liked them better than my standing recipe. The gravy was good but DH preferred our regular gravy. It is the first time I have ever used a gravy mix so maybe that was it. Excellent meal and I will defnitely be fixing my cube steaks like this in the future. Thanks TasteTester. Made for teammate for the 12 Days of Christmas.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 eggs or 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 2⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 4 beef cube steaks (about 1 1/2 lb. total)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (2 2/3 ounce) packetsausage gravy mix
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and seasoned salt in medium bowl. Place egg substitute in second bowl and bread crumbs in third bowl. Preheat large saute pan on medium heat 1-2 minutes.
- Dredge each steak in flour mixture, coating evenly. Dip into eggs; remove and let excess drip off. Dredge in bread crumbs. Place oil in pan, add steaks, and cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
- Stir in gravy mix and gradually add milk and water, stirring continuously, until gravy is smooth. Reduce heat to low and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring often, to heat thoroughly. Serve gravy over steaks.