Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
How do you turn cheap round steak into a Sunday dinner the family will remember for a long time? Pound it tender, add a dollop of richly seasoned sauce bright with artichokes and sundried tomatoes, and melt flavorful cheeses on top of it. Don’t be afraid of the long instructions – its not difficult. The sauce can be made ahead if you reserve the artichokes until just before serving.
- 2 lbs round steaks (thin-cut)
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated asiago cheese
- olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 teaspoons beef base, and
- 1⁄2 cup water (or 1/2 cup beef drippings)
- 2 tablespoons vermouth
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped fine
- 1 dash cayenne chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 4 -6 fresh mushrooms, sliced and browned in olive oil (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- To prepare sauce: Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Saute onions until they start to pick up a bit of color.
- Reduce heat and add garlic, sautéing just a moment -- until the aroma begins to release.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients except artichokes and optional mushrooms. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer gently for 60-90 minutes, stirring occasionally or until flavors are well blended.
- Add artichokes (and optional mushrooms if desired), and simmer 5 minutes until well heated.
- Prepare spaghetti according to package directions.
- To prepare steaks: Cut into about 8 pieces. Pound pieces thin with the toothy side of the meat hammer. Heat oven to 400°F.
- Put 1/4 cup flour into a wide, shallow dish.
- Beat egg into milk in another shallow dish.
- Mix remaining flour with seasonings in another wide, shallow dish.
- Dip steak pieces into the plain flour, patting it into the dents. Dust off excess.
- Dip floured steak pieces into the egg-milk mixture.
- Bread the steaks with the seasoned flour.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Fry steaks in batches until breading is golden.
- Arrange steaks in a large baking pan or two smaller ones. Top each steak with a dollop of sauce.
- Mix asiago and mozzarella cheese together. Spread cheese mixture over the steaks.
- Put in the oven for 7-12 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
- Serve on a bed of spaghetti with extra sauce available at the table. (If you like your pasta with a lot of sauce on it you might want to make an extra half a batch).
- I suggest that you complete the meal with a salad of mixed greens with a simple, vinaigrette dressing and a loaf of crusty bread.
This was a satisfing & enjoyable meal. I did reduce the amounts & had no problems. I also added far more mushrooms simply because we like them. I found the spices in the breading a nice complement. There was enough to actually add flavor to the meat. One change I did make to the directions was to cook the spagetti when I slid the steaks into the oven. Thank you for a nice RSC #11 meal!