Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Biscuit recipe posted separately. The ingredients(for the steak & gravy) lists 4 cups of hot water, but I've read the entire thing several times and can find no use for the hot water. Sent enquiry to Foodnetwork for an answer. Recipe courtesy Paula Deen See this recipe on air Monday May. 01 at 4:00 PM ET/PT. Episode#: PA0709
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 8 (907.18 g) tenderized beef round steak (cube steaks)
- 4.92 ml seasoning salt
- 4.92 ml house seasoning (see below)
- 473.18 ml buttermilk
- 158.51 ml vegetable oil
- 59.16 ml flour
- 1.23 ml fresh ground pepper
- 4.92 ml salt (to taste)
- 946.0 ml whole milk
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 236.59 ml salt
- 59.14 ml black pepper
- 59.14 ml garlic powder
- HOUSE SEASONING:.
- Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle 1 side of the meat with the House Seasoning and the other side with the seasoning salt, and then dredge the meat in buttermilk and then flour.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 or 4 of the steaks to the hot oil and fry until browned, about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Remove each steak to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Repeat with the remaining steaks, adding up to 1/4 cup more oil, as needed.
- Drain all but 4 TBS drippings, and scrapings.
- Add 4 tablespoons flour to the pan drippings, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the pepper and the salt.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the flour is medium brown and the mixture is bubbly.
- Slowly add the whole milk, stirring constantly with whisk.
- Return the steaks to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, and place the onions on top of the steaks.
- Cover the pan, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- See Paula Deen's biscuits to serve with this.
I love country fried steak, and this recipe was no exception. I cut the recipe in half with no problems. I did have a little trouble keeping all the breading on the meat, it wanted to fall off after the first flip.....but I managed to keep it all together. Delicious meal. Thanks for sharing! Made for Cooking Tag Mania game.
According to my 7 year old son, he said," Your chicken fried steak is the best one I have ever had, better than the restaurants." Very good flavor, great recipe to add to my collection.
This turned out wonderfully.....my only problem was finding a pan big enough for the gravy! I had to switch to a bigger one. You can also use sliced green onions in the dish. I thought it had a great flavor. I will make this again.