1/1 Photo of Country Fried Steak & Gravy - Paula Deen
1 hr 5 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
Biscuit recipe posted separately. The ingredients(for the steak & gravy) lists 4 cups of hot water, but I've read the entire thing several times and can find no use for the hot water. Sent enquiry to Foodnetwork for an answer. Recipe courtesy Paula Deen See this recipe on air Monday May. 01 at 4:00 PM ET/PT. Episode#: PA0709
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 8 (907.18 g) tenderized beef round steak (cube steaks)
- 4.92 ml seasoning salt
- 4.92 ml house seasoning (see below)
- 473.18 ml buttermilk
- 158.51 ml vegetable oil
- 59.16 ml flour
- 1.23 ml fresh ground pepper
- 4.92 ml salt (to taste)
- 946.0 ml whole milk
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 1HOUSE SEASONING:.
- 2Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- 4Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a small bowl.
- 5Sprinkle 1 side of the meat with the House Seasoning and the other side with the seasoning salt, and then dredge the meat in buttermilk and then flour.
- 6Heat 1/2 cup oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- 7Add 2 or 4 of the steaks to the hot oil and fry until browned, about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- 8Remove each steak to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- 9Repeat with the remaining steaks, adding up to 1/4 cup more oil, as needed.
- 10Drain all but 4 TBS drippings, and scrapings.
- 12Add 4 tablespoons flour to the pan drippings, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- 13Stir in the pepper and the salt.
- 14Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the flour is medium brown and the mixture is bubbly.
- 15Slowly add the whole milk, stirring constantly with whisk.
- 16Return the steaks to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 17Reduce the heat to low, and place the onions on top of the steaks.
- 18Cover the pan, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- 20See Paula Deen's biscuits to serve with this.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Fried Steak & Gravy - Paula Deen
Serving Size: 1 (576 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 779.4
- Calories from Fat 416
- Total Fat 46.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 29.3 mg
- Sodium 29117.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 20.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef round steak