Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I love this recipe, and so does my husband.
- 4 cube steaks (about 4 ounce each)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup finely crushed saltine crackers, about 25 crackers
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening (like crisco)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- If necessary, pound cubed steaks to 1/4-inch thickness between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, using a meat pounder or rolling pin.
- Set aside.
- Combine flour and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Pour buttermilk into a second dish.
- Spread crushed crackers on a plate.
- Dredge steaks, one at a time, in seasoned flour.
- Dip in buttermilk.
- Then in crushed crackers, to coat thoroughly, pressing with fingertips to adhere.
- Melt shortening in 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add steaks.
- Cook 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove to paper towel-lined platter and keep warm.
- Stir mushroom soup and milk into drippings in skillet.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve steaks accompanied by gravy.
This is a VERY good recipe! The meat was so tender & juicy. I made my own gravy using the leftover buttermilk & omiting the mushroom soup. THANKS for sharing!