1/5 Photos of Country Fried Steak
Sue Lau's Note:
Also known as chicken fried steak. Not to be confused with chicken. When they do chicken this way it is chicken fried chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk, and eggs in 3 separate shallow bowls in the working area.
- 2Mix 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and the paprika into the flour and mix well.
- 3Season both sides of cube steaks with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- 4Dip cube steaks in milk, then dredge in seasoned flour.
- 5Dip floured steaks in egg wash, then again in the seasoned flour.
- 6Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet on medium heat and do half the cube steaks at a time, or work with two skillets, if you desire.
- 7Brown the cube steaks on each side, about 8-10 minutes total cooking time; remove from heat and set the steaks aside.
- 8Drain all but 1 tbsp oil (if any- I don't usually have any, but the steaks are less greasy with less oil) from the pans.
- 9Add enough butter to the pan to equal 3 tbsp along with the oil.
- 10Melt the butter and add 3 tbsp flour and stir with a whisk to make a roux, deglazing the bottom of the pan, and cook for a few minutes on LOW heat; do not burn.
- 11Slowly add the remaining 2 cups milk, and stir or whisk constantly until mixture comes to a boil and thickens; cook for another minute or so and remove from heat.
- 12Serve Country Fried Steaks (Chicken Fried Steak, as we call it) with plenty of gravy on top, and mashed potatoes on the side (double gravy recipe if you use a LOT of gravy on your potatoes, etc).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Fried Steak
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.7
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 107.2 mg
- Sodium 667.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: