Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
I know there are several recipes on here for country fried steak. I didn't see any here the way I make mine, so I decided to post it. Please don't let the long list of instructions bother you, it’s easier than it looks. If you try it I hope you enjoy it! posted on January 27th 2006.
Top Review by puppitypup
LOVED IT! I'd never used self-rising flour for the breading before and it worked perfectly. I used recipe #29318 for the self-rising flour but cut the salt in half on that recipe. For this recipe I made it exactly as directed and it was quite delicious. Thank you for posting Shapeweaver, this makes a yummy quick weekday meal. Made for Comfort Food tag in the Photo Forum, please see my rating system.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising flour
- 2 large cube steaks, cut in half (making four pieces)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt, divided (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided (or more to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together egg and milk in a medium sized shallow bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oil in a medium sized skillet over medium heat.
- While oil is heating, place flour on a sheet of aluminum foil or a flat plate.
- Take a piece of steak covering each side with flour.
- Press flour into meat with palm of your hand.
- Place flour covered meat one piece at a time in egg, making sure meat is covered with egg mixture.
- Repeat step 5.
- Repeat steps 5, 6, and 7 with remaining steak.
- Place each piece of meat in skillet, sprinkle each piece with 1/4 teaspoon of each seasoning salt and pepper (can add more seasoning salt and pepper if desired).
- Lightly brown each side of steak for 5 to 6 minutes or until desired brownness is reached.
- Serve with your favorite gravy and your favorite sides.