1/3 Photos of Country Fried Hamburger Steaks With Gravy
Chef shapeweaver �'s Note:
If you can "Country Fry" chicken, pork , and beef cube steaks, why not ground beef patties ? Well, with this recipe you can.:) When handling the "steaks" please take care when turning over in the egg/milk mixture,because they might crumble.And the same goes for turning over in the seasoned flour.For easier handling of the "steaks" you may want to freeze them for about 1/2 an hour or until they are slightly firm.If desired please adjust seasonings according to your tastes.For a true comfort meal serve with your favorite mashed potato and green bean recipes.Submitted to "ZARR" on November 21st,2008
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour, use leftover seasoned flour for the gravy
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- oil (for frying)
- 1In a shallow dish beat together egg and 1/2 cup milk, set aside.
- 2In another shallow dish or on a plate mix together 3/4 cup of flour,seasoned salt,pepper,and garlic powder.
- 3Shape ground beef into three equal sized oval "steaks" and flatten into 1/4 inch thickness.
- 4Add each "steak" one at a time to egg mixture, coating both sides well.
- 5Then add each "steak" to seasoned flour,making sure to cover each side well.
- 6Heat oil over medium heat in skillet large enough to hold all the "steaks".
- 7Add "steaks" to hot but not smoking oil, cook until both sides are golden brown.
- 8Remove "steaks" and keep warm.
- 9To make gravy, drain all but 3 Tablespoons oil, add flour and stir into oil until a paste like texture is reached.
- 10Cook this mixture (roux) for about 5 minutes on medium heat to eliminate the raw flower taste, then warm the milk before adding to roux.
- 11Stir in milk a little at a time until desired thickness is reached, if you want it a little thinner add a bit of water.
- 12At this point,taste and add more seasoning if desired.
- 13Pour gravy over "steaks" and mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Fried Hamburger Steaks With Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 629.9
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 177.3 mg
- Sodium 580.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 40.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: