Recipe by Nasseh
This is another recipe I got from George Stella's cookbook & tweaked for my needs. Note: Looking at my bag of soy flour I see that Food.com's nutrients facts don't show any fiber in it, which it has. So by my calculation there should be 10 net carbs per serving not 15.
Top Review by bufcopper
I made this recipe yesterday and I was very pleased at the way the chicken fried up nice and crispy almost like regular fried chicken. The problem I had with this recipe is that there seems to be something missing from the gravy to thicken it up. It remained a liquid even after reducing by one third. I believe George Stella uses Guar or Xanthan gum as a thickener. I also use those products to thicken but by the time that I realized that the gravy needed to be thickened there was not enough of it left after boiling away.
I will deffinately make this meal again but I will use Xanthan gum (from your local health food store)as a thickener for the gravy.
- canola oil, for frying
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups soy flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the ingredients for the breading mix, set aside.
- Place the chicken on a cutting board then use a meat tenderizing mallet to pound the chicken very thin.
- Heat about an 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan. Then whisk together the eggs & water to make the egg wash.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the breading mix then into the egg wash & back into the breading.
- Once completely covered gently place the chicken into the hot oil. Fry for 2 minutes then flip & continue to fry for another 2 minutes. The final result should be golden brown & crispy on the outside.
- Place the chicken onto a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil. then remove them to regular serving plates.
- Next start the gravy by adding all the ingredients (except the sour cream) into pot. Cook over high heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly until the sauce is reduced by a third.
- Take off the heat then stir in the sour cream, if using. Pour over the chicken & serve immediately.