Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a truly delicious butternut squash recipe! I saute it on a large griddle in just a small amount of oil, and it turns out perfectly. I found this on Allrecipes by Maryanne. Her grandmother won a blue ribbon with this recipe and I can see why!
- Combine egg and milk together in a pie plate or flat bowl.
- In a second flat bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Peel butternut squash.
- Cut a slice off the bottom of the squash and stand it securely on cutting board.
- With a sharp knife, slice peel off from top to bottom, continuing around the squash until tough peel is completely removed.
- Slice squash into 1/2 inch circles.
- dip squash slices first in the milk/egg mixture and then dredge in the flour mixture.
- Fry or saute in a frying pan or griddle in oil until golden brown on each side, about 2-3 minutes a side.
Loved it. I added cinnamon, curry, cardamon, cumin, and tumuric. I used the cornmeal, and coconut flour, and didn't us the milk or wheat flour. Due to allergies. It worked well. This is a great. Even the babysitter thought it was good. :)
Delicious! Crisp fried squash outside, tender and sweet inside. I think a little parmesan cheese, or even some 'pumpkin' spices in the flour would make it a little more interesting next time.
I tried evelyn/athen's suggestion of adding pumpkin pie spices to the milk mixture. I think it would be more effective added to the flour mixture. I didn't care for this at all but Dh liked it. It took a lot longer than 3 minutes per side to cook the center until tender.